Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blast from the Past

My cousin Shannon was visiting for the weekend from DC and she and I went to Cambridge Springs for a look around. I lived in Cambridge when I was a child, so it was fun to look around and see what is the same and what has changed. The town was mostly the same. Some different shops and such, but over all it looked about the same. It did seem smaller, now that I am grown! We had fun reminiscing in a local thrift shop, Buttons and Bows! I used to go there with my Mom. It is a small space with a ton of stuff packed in! They have three floors and just about anything you might want to look at and everything you didn't know you can't live without. I was lurking down in the basement when I saw it from across the room. I scrambled through the closely set racks of clothing and tables of household items and stands of shoes. Like a crazy person in Wal-mart the day after Thanksgiving I shoved my way across the otherwise uninhabited basement to get it. I found the holy grail of thrift items. A perfect gift for my mother. ( I am so happy that it is not an insult to give thrift store items as gifts in my family!) I found a 9 cup Corning ware percolator! Now, I am not really a coffee drinker myself. I like the idea of coffee, but not so much the coffee. I prefer tea. My mother on the other hand does like coffee, and she likes her coffee with perk. She has been using an aluminum camp percolator while waiting for the right one to come along, and now it has! Thank you Buttons and Bows!

We spent a bit of time in the little park in the center of town. It is a cute place with benches and flowers, a gazebo and a fountain, some historical information markers and a time capsule. Yay for small towns. :)





After a stroll up and down the main street with few pit stops in an antique store and a thrift shop we made our way to the historic Riverside Inn. We went in and had a look around. Our grandmother, Virginia, worked there. We had a great time looking around. I had much more appreciation for the beautiful antiques now that I am older than I did as a child when I visited with my grandma. It is a very beautiful inn. They have lots of guest rooms, a few dining rooms, a play house, and lovely yards and landscaping. I had a very good time, thank you Shannon!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you ladies visited Cambridge. And Buttons and Bows. :-) I can't wait 'til my visit when I can let you introduce me to my new coffee pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me either! ...Has the house sold yet?

    ReplyDelete