Monday, February 21, 2011

Dreaming and Living

I have many hopes, dreams, and desires. I desire to marry a godly man, I dream of having children, and I hope to be a homemaker. I currently live with my cousin, her husband, and their young son. I also work outside the home full time. Lately I have been trying to balance my dreams with the current reality of my daily life, which I know is possible, thanks to my amazing mother who was in this position for many years! Visit her at: wwww.patentingmyre-invention.blogspot.com. My conundrum is: how do I effectively put into practice my homemaking skills while maintaining a tiring full time job outside of the home? I have been praying about this balancing act, and a few scriptures were given to me.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

I may not know exactly why I am here at this time, but God does! If I rely on and follow him, and allow his light to shine through me to the world, I will end up in the place the Lord has set aside for me.

Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Here I see that if I take great pleasure in the Lord and obeying his commands, he will grant me the desires of my heart.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Colossians 3:23

No matter what task I am set to do, I must do it fervently and with great love. When I remember that I am doing everything for the glory of God, mundane or undesirable tasks become more important and joyful.

While I have been meditating on these scriptures and the definitions of these words, I have come to the conclusion that I am not to worry about or plan out my future, as long as I am pursuing the goals God has currently placed for me I am on the right path (even if I don't know where it is going!). Right now that looks like taking care of my cousin and her family by helping keep the house clean, cooking, and watching over her son, then going to my job and being a dependable coworker and a loving aide!

Father God, Thank you for this opportunity to serve my family while learning and practicing the skills I will need for another chapter of life. I am humbled and excited by the promises in your word. Please give me the strength to not only accomplish the tasks that you have given me, but to be a testament of your unfailing love. Thank you for your tender words in quiet times, I pray that I will be ever vigilant in listening for and hearing them. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. If my arms were 1400 miles long I'd give you a hug this very minute! Of course, it would also be difficult finding sleeves long enough...

    But seriously, my delightful daughter, there is nothing more beautiful than a heart given to God and no light shines brighter than when Jesus shines through us in the darkness.

    I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great book for you; it is called DECISION MAKING BY THE BOOK: How to choose wisely in an age of options by Haddon W. Robinson. I have it set aside for you.

    ReplyDelete