Monday, February 14, 2011

On Frustration, Joy, and Waiting

I am beginning to understand that all things really do come together for the good. Sometimes, it really does not seem that way, but it is true. The Bible is full of these promises. Many times I find that I am letting myself become consumed with frustration, anger, resentment, and disappointment, just to name a few. I will feel resentment when someone else seems to be happier than me. "Why can they be blessed with the things I want and not me?" I become angry when someone points out a way I can help. "Why are they telling me what to do, don't they see that I am busy with other things?" I resent others for their good fortune. "I have suffered, when do I get my share of good fortunes?" I am disappointed that I have not accomplished many admirable things. "What I do is meaningless. I go to work, come home, go to church and taxi my Amish friends around. Who cares?"

Psalm 103

1 Praise the Lord, O my soul;
all my inmost being, praise His holy name.
2 Praise the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all His benefits-
3 who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
4 who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
5 who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
6 The Lord works righteousness
and justice for all the oppressed.
7 He made known his ways to Moses,
his deeds to the people of Israel:
8 The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in love.
9 He will not always accuse,
nor will he harbor his anger forever;
10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him:
12 as for as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
13 As a father has compassion on his children,
so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him;
14 for he knows how we are formed,
he remembers that we are dust.
15 As for man, his days are like grass,
he flourishes like a flower of the field;
16 the wind blows over it and it is gone,
and its place remembers it no more.
17 But form everlasting to everlasting
the Lord's love is with those who fear him,
and his righteousness with their children's children-
18 with those who keep his covenant
and remember his precepts.
19 The Lord has established his throne in heaven,
and his kingdom rules over all.
20 Praise the Lord, you his angels,
you mighty ones who do his bidding,
who obey his word.
21 Praise the Lord, a;; his heavenly hosts.
you servants who do his will.
22 Praise the Lord, all his works
everywhere in his dominion.
Praise the Lord, O my soul.

This is a powerful Psalm. I am reminded of my fragility. I am reminded that the Lord heals, redeems and restores. I am reminded that instead of suffering and dying for my wickedness, I am blessed beyond comprehension. I am learning to see the blessings. I am learning the true meaning of changing the heart.

I am sure you are wondering ('you' being any readers I still have, if any, after my prolonged blogging silence!)how this all relates, well... Recently I was pondering ways I could purge distasteful thoughts and actions from my life. Unfortunately, as stated above, I can tend to have a bad attitude about some things, and even more unfortunate is the fact that I often wear my bad attitude for all to see and feel. I want to be salt and life, and smearing those bad feelings around is anything but. So I prayed, I asked how I could change my attitude, my thoughts, and my actions to better represent my Savior other that just feeling bad, saying I am sorry, and repenting when I mess up. I found my answer in a few familiar Scriptures I had learned as a child. I had learned the words, but I am just now grasping their meaning and trying to apply them.

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I do not believe these verses are only referring to keeping the flesh pure, the mind of a temple of the Holy Spirit should also be kept pure.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23


Diligently striving to obtain these attributes in our every day moments will help maintain our defenses against the attacks and temptations of the enemy. Plus, there is no law prohibiting the frequent, even continual practice of these qualities!

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, -if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things. Philippians 4:8

By mindfully dwelling on the correct things, I am finding that I am feeling a real and significant change. I can look upon my frustrations and realize that I was distorting the situation. I can be truly joyful for someone who is celebrating a blessing in their life, knowing that I am truly blessed as well and that God has more in store for me than I could ever imagine. I can thank someone for their concern for others when they point out ways I could help, and I can be thankful for the opportunity to serve another. And what I do does matter. I am a friend and an assistant to the elders, and my coworkers in my workplace. I make a difference in their lives, and through that I am very blessed!

I am waiting for the next chapter God has for me, but in this season of waiting I must not be idle. Although I may not be doing great things outwardly, great things are being cultivated within. Praise God, O my soul!

1 comment:

  1. Powerful Scriptures, wise words and an attitude that is pleasing to God, daughter. I could read of great accomplishments or wonderful things happening in your life but nothing pleases me as much as seeing your heart for God. Without that none of the other things matter. Love and hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete